Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Final Presentation- Music To Your Ears

Hi, and welcome to my presentation where I will share what I've learned over the past 8 weeks. During my WInter term here at Global Citizenship Experience Lab School, I've participated in a course called Light, Sound and Time. In the course, we discovered how humans perceived sound and how other organisms do also. We researched ear structures and learn about the anatomy of the ear. Over time in our investigation, we lent toward music and different frequencies of the pitch. This brings me to another course I took which was my Independent Study, Music Theory. During the duration of studies with the help of my Teacher Adam. I went over the basics of staff reading, music notation and learned some chords on the guitar.

For this Final Presentation, I wanted to see how music can impact others and how much of that impact can spread peace and love. Music has been around for a long time. We use it at gatherings, celebrations, and even at protest. An Example of this is, Michael Jackson’s “We Are the World”, in 1985 it raised over $63 million (equivalent to $147 million today) for humanitarian aid in Africa and the US.

Another popular song that stood for a cause was called. "F**k the Police". This song was a protest song by N.W.A in 1988 and it was written shortly after the group was harassed by the Torrance Police Department. The lyrics protest police brutality and racial profiling in the song. Since its release in 1988, the "F**k da Police" slogan continues to influence pop culture today in the form of T-shirts, artwork, political expression and has transitioned into other genres as well.

Below are links to the two songs I referred to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjkUyX0rVwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjkUyX0rVw
\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7b

As you can see music has a big impact on one another and the world. I would like to share a video of me playing the guitar, but I don’t know if I can. So instead I’ll just post somethings I did in my Independent Study that can relate.
https://www.musicnotes.com/now/tips/how-to-read-sheet-music/
https://www.libertyparkmusic.com/guitar-chord-shapes-beginner-to-advanced/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/halleonard-pagepreviews/HL_DDS_27655xJ0F1p5CBw.png
https://cdn3.virtualsheetmusic.com/images/first_pages/HL/HL-351361First_BIG.png

These are some of the things that I have gone over during my course. Some things were easier than the other but I enjoyed it overall. Connecting back to Light, Sound, and Time, the reason we can hear sound is because of the sound waves in the air that vibrate at different Hz. The sound goes through the ear canal, and eardrum then sends a signal to the brain.

How Stuff Works.
Back to the music context. I have always had a love for sounds. Every since I was a baby, I would always hit pots and pans or at school make a rhythm on the table. It’s just something that lets me feel free and in control. That’s why I believe music can change and impact the world for the better. Starting after listening to this I challenge you to think about something that you find unjust or unfair and make a quick song about it. Record how you feel after you share it with others and how it impacted them to test my hypotheses. Also, consider playing an instrument or sing, it can be beneficial to your creativity and health.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot for the Stars..... Not So Fast!

During my second unit of my STEAM course, Frontiers, we've explored the skies and beyond. We have been looking into space like a book wi...