Monday, October 22, 2018

Heros Journey

Over the course of my term in my Stories class we have, worked up to doing a hero's journey. First we, looked at examples of how people change and did activities to relate to a fictional character.We later did the real world. Then after words we went over the journey of a character. We learned how to plot a hero's journey and it was a very creative process. For my project, I choose Spider man for my fictional character. I choose Spider man because he is my childhood hero and is very cool. He has crazy powers and saves peoples lives. For my real life hero, I choose my grandmother Deborah because she is very influential and looks out for other people's children as a caretaker. She has been doing this for over 20 years. However, my heroes are very different. But their similarities are that they both prepare people up for the future, or to teach others how to do good in their lives. They also protect people and show gratitude and compassion while doing it.

Spider mans hero's journey


Call to Adventure 

Peter Park goes on a field trip to a laboratory with his high-school, and suddenly gets bitten by a genetically modified spider. Which later leads to Peters genetics being transformed to a spider. He has the ability to shoot webs from his wrist, crawl on walls and ceilings and, has a very high alerted sense in his surroundings and actions. Also gains super strength to a limit and can do normal human task at a faster pace. This is a call because he is given a power and that power brings him to the the unknown world.

Refusal to Call  

Peter finally discovers that he has these new superpowers, but he doesn't know what to do with them. He is very confused on why he has these powers, and can't decide what to do with them. Later he just decides not to use his powers and continues his ordinary life as a civilian and not a hero yet. In the movie he actually gets bullied a bit and still doesn't use them. This would be a refusal to call because while being bullied he didn't use his powers and he could have.

Supernatural Aid 

In the movie Peter Parker's supernatural aid is the spider that helped him obtained his powers. Peter Parker's other supernatural aid/ mentor is his Uncle Ben. Although he doesn't know what exactly is going on but he is the closest to Peter and gives him the advise that he needs. His uncle Ben is his aid in the movie because he is always helping him ,and being a positive influence inn Peters life.

Crossing the Threshold  

Spider-Man (2002 film) Production company
Marvel Enterprises
Laura Ziskin Productions
Distributed by Columbia Pictures
Release date
May 3, 2002 (United States)

Peter crosses his first threshold when he chases down and kills Uncle Ben's killer. This moment in his life made him accept his powers and deal with the cards he was dealt. He then turns from a normal teenager to a hero. Well in this case getting revenge for your uncles death doesn't necessarily make you a hero. This was his crossing of the threshold because he is at the point of field of adventure and chaos all in one.

Belly of the Whale 

Peter faces emotional test with his best friend Harry and crush that he is now dating. Mary Jane is playing with Peters feelings, and this makes him feel betrayed and makes him change. Peter also meets his first rival enemy The Green Goblin . This would be consider a belly of the whale for Peter because he is going through changes in his normal life and on his heroes journey. This ultimately configures with changes in mood and in his mind. Later this affects him in his future.


Road of trials


Some of the trails that Peter faced was that he had to choose to save his love Mary Jane and a school bus filled with children. These events were dangerous and risky for Peter as a person and a hero. Also he had to save a train from falling of the end of a bridge that was incomplete. These are roads of trails because he encounters task and ordeals. These shape him as he counties along his journey.

Temptation 
Some temptations that Peter faced was when he would deal with the bad guys. He would have a hard time choosing whether to give them to the authorities or serve them to a cruel punishment for their actions. These examples are temptations because they are things that Perter is challenged to do the wrong thing or the right thing. Other temptations can be when peter saves a girl. Sometimes he would want to hug or kiss them although dating Mary Jane.

The Ultimate Boon

For Peter Parker the Ultimate boon for him would be defeating The Green Goblin, and in the end he also settles back to his normal life were he finally wins over Mary's love. While also keeping his other identity a secret. This was the ultimate boon because he achieved what he wanted at the end of the movie and made his goal complete.

Grandma Deborah’s hero's journey
Family Portrait, Deborah is in the middle with black vest (1985)

Questions that base of hero's journey
Call to Adventure - What was your first call to adventure on your journey?

Refusal to call - When did you ever feel overwhelmed on your experience?

Supernatural Aid- What did you call on for help? What was your supernatural Aid on your journey?

Crossing the Threshold- What was your first experience with children? How did it make feel?

How did you think you impacted the children you taught?

Roads of Trails - What was some of your struggles that you faced while on this journey?

Free to Live/ Freedom - At what moment did you feel free and at peace

Ultimate Boon- What was your greatest achievement on your journey.


 I had said AP class but I didn't mean that. I meant Stories class.

Transcript of Interview

Jahsia: Hello, this is Jahsia and I'm here with my grandmother

Deborah: Deborah moon Haynes.

Jahsia: And this is for my Stories class about a hero's journey. My first question is what was your first call to adventure on your journey?

Deborah: Well,I think that uhmm the first call was I always known since I was five years old that I wanted to be a teacher. And second of all I Am the eldest of eleven sisters and brothers, so with that I mind I think that was the beginning of my journey.

Jahsia: Okay second question. What did you feel that was overwhelming when you first started out?

Deborah:
Well when I really really first started out was about forty years ago in 1976. When I was actually hired as a preschool teacher, and it was overwhelming because of the different changes that had taken place throughout the years. Ummm it was overwhelming because the knowledge of child development was not as relevant as it is today. Back in those days, and it was considered babysitting.

Jahsia: Okay uh third question did you have any help or supernatural aid?

Deborah: Ummm well you know in the class room you do have help in the class. Supernatural aid was do to spirit of Jesus Christ, because you were in a role were you put your life on the line to protect the children that was in your care. And with the different personalities that you encountered I found myself saying ooh help me Lord help me Jesus all the time
.
Jahsia: Okay what was the first experience with the children you had?

Deborah: The first experience that I had was on the first day that I was hired. No the first day of my working experience was the day that the program had planned a trip to the circus with these children, and I didnt know anybody's name and that was a scary, and that was quite a stressful situation when you don't know the kids names and they put you in a situation like that. And ummm you had to go out with a zillion other children and it was like ummm one of the worst experiences I had.

Jahsia: What year was this?

Deborah: Umm this was in November of 1976.

Jahsia: Okay uhh how do you think you influenced the children that you taught futures.

Deborah: Well I always umm taught my kids the difference between right and wrong, and I did it in a positive manner making sure that when umm discipline was necessary it was a learning experience that they would never forget, and will follow them all of their lives.

Jahsia: Okay what where some struggles that you faced or trials that you faced on your journey?

Deborah: Some of the struggles that I really had on my journey of success was making sure that my own children was given the same care, and learning experience that I gave to other people's children. It was very taxing because they had to attend other day cares, and I had to uhh have myself on a schedule were I would always be available for them while they were in school and when they were getting home. And choosing the right fatalities for them where I felt that they would be safe and in somebody's care who really cared for them.

Jahsia: At what moment in your life on your journey as a hero or after did you feel free and a peace?

Deborah: Umm on my journey I felt free and at peace the day I retired. I really did it was a good experience. I wanted to come out when I was still healthy enough to enjoy myself knowing that I did a great job. I've got plenty of accolades, I got trophies, I got plaques, I got certificates of excellence that I can look back on to see how I did, and as a matter of fact I volunteer once a week. And my services are welcomed and looked forward to,and the proprietor is very disappointed when I can't make it to serve the kids in her care.

Jahsia: Uhh okay last question you kinda already said it, but what was your greatest achievement after or that you still continue on your journey.

Deborah: My greatest achievement was learning about umm human nature. Being in child development you wore many hats and those hats continued to uhmm help in situations, that since Iam no longer in it but when opportunities or uhm other things come up I'm not lost in the social world. So that I am abreast of the times although I started thirty years ago I'm still abreast of what's going on because of my experience with child development it covered the hole gamic just about of development when it comes to my special needs son and other special needs members of my family.

Jahsia: Okay thank you for the interview and have a nice day.

Deborah: Alright grandson thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot for the Stars..... Not So Fast!

During my second unit of my STEAM course, Frontiers, we've explored the skies and beyond. We have been looking into space like a book wi...